Author Topic: Trail tools  (Read 1392 times)

February 28, 2017, 07:44:46 pm on

Offline Shdavies35

So as a newbie i'm wondering what tools do most people take out with them. I have a KTM ( so I'll need to carry some!  :)) so I know most bolts are 8mm or 10mm so I'll need to cover both or an adjustable but what else do you take with you, tyre leavers, puncture repair kit, cable ties and duct tape (you can fix anything with those 2 items!). Also where do you carry them? Ruck sack or carried on the bike to avoid damaging you in a fall?

March 01, 2017, 08:03:54 pmReply #1 on

Offline Skeney

• Global Moderator
  • He who dares wins!
Tool kits

MOUSSES
Spare tube (front) & something to inflate it
Tyre levers
Spanners to get wheels off
A few spanners
Screw driver
Allen keys
Spare levers (clutch & brake)
Spark plug & socket
Cable ties
Mobile phone
Cash for fuel
AA/RAC card,just in case its game over.
Plenty to drink, water, camelbak
Bar of chocolate to give to your Rider leader

& A SENSE OF HUMOUR  O0 :))

March 01, 2017, 08:58:45 pmReply #2 on

Offline Husqvarney

A good tip I read somewhere is when your bike needs repair or maintenance at home use the tools you carry on the bike. This will make sure they are adequate and give you experience in using them. Using them out on the lanes is never fun as it's often cold, wet, muddy and not ideal.  :'(

If you don't have mousses make sure you can change a tube yourself if you normally get someone else ie a tyre garage to do it. Some people carry a couple of nitrile/latex gloves to keep their hands clean. Heavy duty tubes can help prevent pinch punctures, punctures caused by riding over rocks/steps at speed with low ityre pressure. Tyre pressures typically 12-15psi depending on conditions.

If you're lucky like some riders you could bring a minder to do all the work for you....mentioning no names.  O0

I carry a small ruck sack and have a rear fender bag. Hard tools are held in the fender bag. Get a good one my first Acerbis tail bag only lasted a couple if rides. Admittedly my bike was flipped onto it's back. I carry a small first aid kit with painkillers and plasters. Used the latter last weekend for bramble rash on the nose (again  :'(). Also a webbing strap to tow or get towed with (again used last weekend when a fuse failed) also handy to help get pulled out of a deep rut or similar. Check your bikes fuses and carry a spare one of each size/type.

Lifting straps are a must front and back if you want someone to help pull you out if a rut or bog  :o

I don't carry spare levers I rely on some good quality hand guards of the wrap around type (not the ones that are only mounted at one end). Could carry a spare gear lever. Most these days have a folding end however I still managed to bend my gear lever on one of my first rides.

I carry a tyre pressure gauge and a puncture repair kit as well as a spare front tube. Front tube will work in the rear as well.

Take a look on the National TRF forum and check out Smokinriders technical tips. Some good advise posted.

You'll probably develop your own preferences over time most likely born out by experience.

March 02, 2017, 04:04:51 pmReply #3 on

Offline Jer

Don't bother taking anything, just make sure you ride with
Budgie!!
He carries everything.👍

March 02, 2017, 10:58:28 pmReply #4 on

Offline budgie

• SWTRF Paid Member
Don't bother taking anything, just make sure you ride with
Budgie!!
He carries everything.👍
I have too with a mate like pippy who only carries dental floss !!!  all the tools are available to hire off me at normal rates plus vat ( double on weekends ) if you find yourself in the natural animal waste  in the woods, That's the type of bloke I am, ALL HEART ::)

March 23, 2017, 03:11:05 pmReply #5 on

Offline Shdavies35

Hi all, thanks for the valuable advise. I've started to put a kit together after reading these replies.

So far I have the KTM tool kit - comes with everything needed for most jobs on the bike. I need to add a few items to this. 2 x adjustable wrenches, some kind of multi-tool etc.

I still need to find a suitable bag, I read somewhere that a Kriega Camel back with the 5litre US dry bag fitted to it works well.
http://kriega.com/riderpacks/hydro-3
plus:
http://kriega.com/bikepacks/us-5-drypack

or a waist pack like this:
http://kriega.com/riderpacks/r8

I have the KTM trackpack selection of bolts.

Small first aid kit

Spare spark plugs x 2 (well it is a 2-stroke!)

I don't have any mousses yet but they are on the list to get so then I'll just include 1 spare front tube just in case with a repair kit and a small track pump.

Then a few others things like cable ties, electrical tape, some fuses, duct tape, latex gloves.

And that should do it.

March 23, 2017, 03:37:27 pmReply #6 on

Offline Skeney

• Global Moderator
  • He who dares wins!
Sounds like your sorted with your kit ::)

With the camelbak yes there fine if you want to spend that much  :wonder:

I've used the one's from tesco & off ebay. Normally between £12 & £29
 ???

Don't need to spend a fortune  ::)

December 22, 2017, 03:51:32 pmReply #7 on

Offline Tim.Turner

• SWTRF Paid Member
  • Gravity sucks
Are we there yet?

Free PageRank Checker